A healthy diet after the age of 50 should consist primarily of natural products. At this age, there are already some chronic diseases that should be taken into account when developing a diet, especially if they are cardiovascular diseases (hypertension, high cholesterol), overweight or obesity. In order to take care of your health, you should avoid consuming cholesterol and alcohol, as well as highly processed food. A young body metabolizes toxic substances more easily compared to people over 50. Therefore, products intended for consumption should be chosen carefully.
1. Principles of the diet after fifty
People over 50 should develop their diet based on a few simple rules:
- eat plenty of colorful vegetables and fruits;
- at least half of the cereal products should be whole grain products;
- you should limit the amount of consumed animal fats and simple sugars;
- When preparing meals, it is best to avoid frying, because such dishes contain a lot of fat, and during thermal processing, toxic substances (PAHs, nitrosamines) are formed.
Eating well is the key to health. The less highly processed products, the better.
The diet for women over 50 should be adapted to the lifestyle and physical activity of the person for whom we are preparing a diet:
- a woman who is not physically active should consume 1,700 calories a day;
- a woman whose lifestyle is moderately active – should consume 2,000 calories a day;
- physically active woman – needs from 2,200 to 2,500 calories a day.
It is similar with men over 50:
- a man who is not physically active – should consume 2,000 calories a day;
- moderately active man – needs from 2,200 to 2,400 calories a day;
- a physically active man – he should consume from 2,400 to 2,800 calories daily.
2. Components of a diet over 50
A healthy diet for people over 50 should include adequate amounts of products from all food groups. Every day you should choose meals consisting of:
- fruit – 2-3 servings, one of which consists of one large, fresh fruit or ¼ cup of dried fruit; fruits provide vitamins and flavonoids;
- vegetables – 5-6 servings; one consists, for example, of a bowl of fresh leafy vegetables, 2 carrots, 100 g of salad; vegetables are an excellent source of fiber, vitamins and antioxidants;
- dairy products – 4-6 servings, in the form of 2 glasses of milk, 200 g of natural yogurt, kefir or buttermilk, 100 g of white cheese, 2 slices of cheese dairy products contain wholesome protein and easily digestible calcium, which protects against osteoporosis;
- cereal products – it is best to eat whole grains during the day (rye bread, graham), buckwheat, barley, rice, whole grain pasta; cereal products are rich in B vitamins and fiber, which protects against constipation and cancers of the digestive system;
- cereal products made of refined flour (wheat bread, pasta) are best eaten no more than 2 times a week;
- meat and sausages derived from poultry or veal can be eaten daily as they are a source of wholesome protein and iron, and thus protect against anemia;
- fish – it is best to eat it at least 3 times a week because they are a good source of wholesome proteinand unsaturated omega-3 fatty acids, which protect the body against the development of atherosclerosis;
- legume seeds (soybeans, beans, lentils) – the protein contained in them is made of essential amino acids, so they can replace meat; in addition, they are a source of water-soluble fiber, which inhibits the absorption of cholesterol in the intestines;
- it is best to use butter to spread the bread or – like Italians – to soak the bread with olive oil, which contains vitamin E and essential omega-6 fatty acids;
People over 50 must not forget to consume at least 2 liters of fluid, preferably highly mineralized mineral water – thanks to it, we will not have to take additional calcium and magnesium supplements.
A healthy diet for 50-year-olds is a nutritional program that aims to reduce the risk of overweight, cardiovascular disease, hypertension and type 2 diabetes. An anticholesterol diet is a good solution, the main assumption of which is to lower the level of cholesterol in the body, which is the cause of atherosclerosis and related heart diseases. A healthy diet gives you a good chance of a long and healthy life.